Posts in the Pipeline
- Getting Started with Azure
- Unpacking the Modern Data Estate
- What is Database as a Service?
- The Three Vectors of Digital Transformation
- SQL Server, SQL Managed Instances, or Azure SQL Database?
- Azure SQL Database vs Amazon SQL Server RDS
Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.
– President Ronald Reagan
Recently a colleague informed me that a customer was thinking about using the Express edition of SQL Server for a mission critical workload. Express edition is the entry-level, free database version of SQL Server. It is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server data-driven applications. It is not ideal for mission critical applications. The customer obviously wanted to save on licensing costs, but I cringed at the thought. Why? Because when a mission critical application fails the person responsible for the decision to use the Express edition may end up in a depression.